The OF Blog: 2008 Locus Awards winners announced

Sunday, June 22, 2008

2008 Locus Awards winners announced

Taken from Locus Online, of course! Now for some commentary:



SF NOVEL
The Yiddish Policemen's Union, Michael Chabon (HarperCollins)
I plan on writing a review of this in the next few weeks, but I can say that I did enjoy this one quite a bit. While it wasn't my favorite 2007 (that belongs to another Locus Award winner), this one would have made a strong push for my Final 12 if I had read it in 2007.
FANTASY NOVEL
Making Money, Terry Pratchett (Doubleday UK; HarperCollins)
I've yet to make it all of the way through a Pratchett book (a mood thing and not an indictment on his literary qualities), so I have little interest in reading this one.
YOUNG ADULT BOOK
Un Lun Dun, China Miéville (Ballantine Del Rey; Macmillan UK)
Excellent YA novel that I enjoyed when I first read it in February 2007. Improved even more on a re-read earlier this year.
FIRST NOVEL
Heart-Shaped Box, Joe Hill (Morrow; Gollancz)
Haven't read it yet, but I might in the near future.
NOVELLA
"After the Siege", Cory Doctorow (The Infinite Matrix Jan 2007)
Haven't read it yet, again maybe in the near future.
NOVELETTE
"The Witch's Headstone", Neil Gaiman (Wizards)
Good story, but not my favorite from that anthology. Surprised that Chiang didn't win this.
SHORT STORY
"A Small Room in Koboldtown", Michael Swanwick (Asimov's Apr/May 2007)
Haven't read it, but perhaps soon.
COLLECTION
The Winds of Marble Arch and Other Stories, Connie Willis (Subterranean)
Haven't read it, don't know when I'll get around to purchasing it.
ANTHOLOGY
The New Space Opera, Gardner Dozois & Jonathan Strahan, eds. (Eos)
See above.
NON-FICTION
Breakfast in the Ruins, Barry N. Malzberg (Baen)
Hadn't heard of this book until now.
ART BOOK
The Arrival, Shaun Tan (Lothian 2006; Scholastic)
My favorite 2007 read.
EDITOR
Ellen Datlow
MAGAZINE
F&SF
PUBLISHER
Tor
ARTIST
Charles Vess

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites