The OF Blog: Disch remembrance, another Camp Concentration review

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Disch remembrance, another Camp Concentration review


This past Saturday, friends and relatives of the late author Thomas M. Disch gathered together in New York City to pay respect to Disch. To the left is one of many photographs that Jacob Weisman, Disch's final editor, took at the remembrance celebration.

In addition, Jumpdrives and Cantrips has contributed a review of Disch's Camp Concentration as a late entry to the first Blogger Book Club discussion. While her impressions of the book were not as favorable as mine, it is fascinating to see just how much of a divide Disch's book caused among the participants. But do go to her blog and read that entry and then read a few more of her posts, as they are well worth the read.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Larry, it is only me, or the younger generations don´t "dig" Disch because of his idea-oriented plots? Do they really hunger for storytelling-cum-action and despise thought-provoking narratives? Creepy...

Larry Nolen said...

It might be, although there really isn't that much of a difference in age between me and the others (I think it's 1-5 years total). I have a post topic in mind that I might write this weekend, time permitting, on the issue of contemplation and reading that I think might address some of your suspicions.

Mihai A. said...

I don't despise thought-provoking narratives, on the contrary. But like all the readings and readers it depends on the person (reader) and in my case on the package (reading) :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, my use of the word "generations" was greatly exaggerated. After all, I´m 10-15 years old than some of you guys; I could be an older brother, but never a father. I guess that´s a matter of taste, after all - as Dark Wolf just said, it depends on your package (elegant explanation, Wolf! :-D

Sara J. said...

Thanks for the mention, Larry!

Fabio, for me I think it's a lack of connection to the characters in specific works rather than the ideas themselves. I can't stand a lot of other "classic" works for the same reason; for instance, The Lord of the Rings. Have never been able to finish it and probably never will unless someone pays me to do it (and that tome is worth a hefty investment, let me tell you!).

I also tend to like somewhat more subtle ideas books that require a little more sleuth-work on the part of the reader to figure out the message rather than being beat over the head with it.

But that's just me :)

 
Add to Technorati Favorites