The OF Blog: Reminder: Camp Concentration Discussion begins in a week

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Reminder: Camp Concentration Discussion begins in a week


Just a reminder that the October blogger book club discussion of Thomas M. Disch's 1968 novel, Camp Concentration, begins in just over a week, on October 13 (or 12th, depending on your time zone, I suppose). For those who are curious, this book discussion involves various blogger participants blogging about the book, discussing elements that appealed to them (or not), and then linking to my post. Then I and others who are participating will comment, as needed, on the others' blogs and a discussion will begin to form that will span multiple blogs, highlighting each person's thoughts and the others' reactions in a way that is more immediate and "discussion-like" than the typical blogger review and comments that are limited to each blog.

Furthermore, expect a review of Disch's posthumous short story collection, The Wall of America, in the coming days. Very short version is that I thought it was brilliant. The reasons why I did will be presented either later this week or sometime next week during my week-long break.

I also would like a list of people who are interested in selecting/hosting the November discussion, so if you want to participate, please comment below.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Larry, I can host the November posting if there´s no one else interested. In addition, I´d like to tell everybody I´ll be also reviewing in October some other Disch titles, like 334 and On Wings of Song.

Larry Nolen said...

Fábio, you certainly were one that I was considering asking. Can't wait to read your reviews of those other Disch titles; I'm reviewing his The Wall of America collection in the next few days.

Joe said...

My Disch review is written and queued up to post on the 13th. Great idea for the "club".

Larry Nolen said...

I take it you enjoyed it, Joe? :D

Joe said...

Not quite the right word, Larry. :) I appreciated what Disch did, but it is a book I find it difficult to really say that I enjoyed.

Sort of like my reaction to Move Under Ground from Nick Mamatas. Hell of a novel, impressive characterization of Kerouac, but I'm not sure I "enjoyed" it like I do some other novels.

Larry Nolen said...

So it's one of those books that one can admire but not embrace personally, similar to admiring a President but not caring for such to enter one's home?

Joe said...

Something along those lines, perhaps.

Kristen said...

I finished Camp Concentration last night and would agree with Joe's assessment - it wasn't exactly enjoyable but it was interesting and I'm by no means sorry I read it. It's hard to really love a book in which I have very little emotional attachment to any of the characters. Actually, it reminded me a lot of the types of books I had to read for college courses (the better ones, that is - not the long dry dissertations on a subject).

Mihai A. said...

If I will have the book for the Club of November I am interested in the participation :)

Sara J. said...

I may be able to join in, though I'm not sure I will necessarily be "on time" depending on time constraints. Have to see how the weekend goes :)

 
Add to Technorati Favorites