The OF Blog: 2009 Nebula Awards shortlist announced

Friday, February 19, 2010

2009 Nebula Awards shortlist announced

From the Nebula Awards blog (I'll highlight/italicize the stories I've read):

Short Story
 
Hooves and the Hovel of Abdel Jameela, Saladin Ahmed (Clockwork Phoenix 2, Norilana Press, Jul09)
I Remember the Future, Michael A. Burstein (I Remember the Future, Apex Press, Nov08)
Non-Zero Probabilities, N. K. Jemisin (Clarkesworld, Nov09)
Spar, Kij Johnson (Clarkesworld, Oct09)
Going Deep, James Patrick Kelly (Asimov’s Science Fiction, Jun09)
Bridesicle, Will McIntosh (Asimov’s Science Fiction, Jan09)

Novelette
 
The Gambler, Paolo Bacigalupi (Fast Forward 2, Pyr Books, Oct08)
Vinegar Peace, or the Wrong-Way Used-Adult Orphanage, Michael Bishop (Asimov’s Science Fiction, Jul08)
I Needs Must Part, The Policeman Said, Richard Bowes (The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Dec09)
Sinner, Baker, Fabulist, Priest; Red Mask, Black Mask, Gentleman, Beast, Eugie Foster (Interzone, Jan/Feb09)
Divining Light, Ted Kosmatka (Asimov’s Science Fiction, Aug08)
A Memory of Wind, Rachel Swirsky (Tor.com, Nov09)

Novella
 
The Women of Nell Gwynne’s, Kage Baker (Subterranean Press, Jun09)
Arkfall, Carolyn Ives Gilman (The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, Sep09)
Act One, Nancy Kress (Asimov’s Science Fiction, Mar09)
Shambling Towards Hiroshima, James Morrow (Tachyon, Feb09)
Sublimation Angels, Jason Sanford (Interzone, Sep/Oct09)
The God Engines, John Scalzi (The God Engines, Subterranean Press, Dec09)

Novel
 
The Windup Girl, Paolo Bacigalupi (Nightshade, Sep09) The Love We Share Without Knowing, Christopher Barzak (Bantam, Nov08)
Flesh and Fire, Laura Anne Gilman (Pocket, Oct09)
The City & The City, China Miéville (Del Rey, May09) Boneshaker , Cherie Priest (Tor, Sep09)
Finch
, Jeff VanderMeer (Underland Press, Oct09) 


Bradbury Award
 
Star Trek, JJ Abrams (Paramount, May09)
District 9, Neill Blomkamp and Terri Tatchell (Tri-Star, Aug09)
Avatar, James Cameron (Fox, Dec 09)
Moon, Duncan Jones and Nathan Parker (Sony, Jun09)
Up, Bob Peterson and Pete Docter (Disney/Pixar, May09)
Coraline, Henry Selick (Laika/Focus Feb09)

Andre Norton Award
 
Hotel Under the Sand, Kage Baker (Tachyon, Jul09)
Ice, Sarah Beth Durst (Simon and Schuster, Oct09)
Ash, by Malinda Lo (Little, Brown & Company, Sep09)
Eyes Like Stars, Lisa Mantchev (Feiwel and Friends, Jul09)
Zoe’s Tale, John Scalzi (Tor Aug08)
When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead (Wendy Lamb Books, 2009)
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland In A Ship Of Her Own Making, Catherynne M. Valente (Catherynne M. Valente, Jun09)
Leviathan, Scott Westerfeld (Simon, Oct09)

Pretty good list, especially for the novels, where all but one (the Gilman) was read by me last year and which most were discussed in my Best of 2009 lists (the Barzak would have made it, except it was published in late 2008).  The short fiction I haven't yet read, I will be reading in the next few weeks.  Certainly more intrigued by this list, which now (largely) has abandoned the confusing "rolling eligibility" requirement, making for a list that feels more "current" and perhaps somewhat more relevant as well.

Thoughts on this shortlist?

5 comments:

Joe said...

Best short list I've seen from the Nebulas since I've been reading - and I think much of it stems from the behind-the-scenes changes regarding voting and eligibility.

Next year will be all 2010 titles. I believe the rolling eligibility was expanded for 6 months into 2008 to allow fair evaluation of titles that would have missed much of their window for the 2009 ballot.

Droidprogrammer said...

I haven't read too many of the novels. I have read the city and the city, and Finch. I was disappointed with Finch, and am wondering if I should have read the other books in the sequence. I was somewhat lost.

Joe said...

Droid: I hadn't read the first two Ambergris novels and I thought Finch was absolutely fantastic. Your mileage may vary.

Anonymous said...

Only read the VanderMeer and Mieville novels. Enjoyed both well enough in a "breezy read" manner, but felt that each of the books were only slightly above average compared to past offerings of the two authors.

Saw all the films except for Up. Enjoyed Moon quite a bit. Always nice to see some low key character-driven SF on film.

I'll probably get through the shorts that are available online sometime soon.

- Zach

Larry Nolen said...

I've read five of the novel categories and a few of the shorter fiction ones. I won't comment on the latter, as several will be under consideration for the BAF4 longlist I'm preparing (that and Alan Swirsky is first reader for online publications for BAF4), but I do believe there's more of interest for most here.

If I had to rank the books in order of what I enjoyed most, it'd be (by author):

1. VanderMeer
2. Barzak
3. Priest
4. Miéville
5. Bacigalupi

And I may or may not read the Gilman book before the winners are announced.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites